Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Me Vs. Them

I often compare myself with others. I think most of us compare, for good or bad. Recently I caught myself doing this. I was silent for sometime then wondered what others must be thinking about this. Within a few minutes, I was reading this excellent post: why we should not compare ourselves with others. Especially these words:

A fourth reason to stop comparing ourselves is that the one who compares him/herself with others is judging........ Nobody knows the internal reality of the other; nobody knows his/her story and his/her most deep intentions.....

How true! The more we compare with someone, the less we know about the true internal reality of other person and his her/story.

The last but most important reason to avoid comparing ourselves with others is that when we do, we can be tempted to copy them, to do the same things, and to act and think like them. The problem with this is that if we copy someone, we will never know who we really are and what we really want, and then we will never grow spiritually.

Yes, I think we lose our originality/uniqueness when we compare. Each one of us have their own pace of development or improvement, no matter how slow that seems to be. If we realize this we can be happy.

What do you think? Do you have an antidote for comparison? Feel free to comment!

2 comments:

varadhu said...

I thought this going to be another Travelog. This is a generalog. What you say is true. But there are some benefits too in using Comparex. Check website www.serenainternational.com

Ramesh L said...

What is there in Serenainternational.com? I didn't find anythng.